Monday, January 17, 2011

The Key~


Intending to do a papercutting commemorating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I poured over hundreds of famous and infamous quotes that came from such an important icon in our American history.  I was adamant that it not be commonplace.  I wanted to interrupt the viewer, draw attention to this pivotal point in history, and promote its application in everyday living.  I found a portion of a quote that struck me and I busied myself, sketching it with ease.  As I cut, I couldn't help but wondered what other important events happened on this date in history.  What was it that folks talked about and celebrated prior to the infamous speech given by Martin Luther King, Jr?  

My interest was immediately drawn to one of our founding fathers~ Benjamin Franklin.  His live changed all of our lives in many profound ways, including his writings as Silence Dogood, his Philadelphia days, the Pennsylvania Gazette, Poor Richard's Almanac, fire prevention, and electricity.  His political views and beliefs are evident in our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States.  He lived a full life, and died at the age of 84 in 1790.  It is reported that 20,000 people attended his funeral.  He was known as the "harmonious human multitude".  What a legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome~