Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Secret Garden~


Once upon a time, I had a secret garden.  It was going to be my garden of a lifetime.  With great care, I tilled the earth, planted as planned, and watered without reservation.  Each week, I would weed with caution so as not to disturb any new growth that could not be seen.  I waited patiently and watched, but nothing ever grew.  I questioned what could be wrong.  Had I chosen the wrong place for a garden?  Flowers usually grow without being coaxed.  Why was it then that my garden was without flowers?  I held steadfast knowing that one day something would become of my garden, and it would be glorious.  I persisted with great expectation, season after season, certain that my patience would be rewarded.  Late one spring with the harsh sun bearing down on the parched ground, my hope began to dwindle.  I allowed the grasses to creep in and hoped no one would notice my ever shrinking plot.  I began giving my garden tools away.  After all, what was the sense of having them if they were not being used.  Slowly, ever so slowly, my dream of having a beautiful garden faded.  By the end of the season not the slightest hint of a garden remained.  I had resolved it within myself that I was not meant to be a gardener.

Years later, when I least expected it, it happened.  The spring rains came and my little garden began to sprout!  I felt so unworthy!  How was this possible after years of neglect?  By now, my gardening knowledge was lacking, and I didn't have the proper tools to be a good gardener.  But, none of that seemed to matter once I saw the sunny faces of my beautiful little flowers blooming in MY garden.  I was ecstatic!  I really was going to be a gardener after all!  

And so it was...and is my secret little garden.  I enjoy every minute I get to tend to my beautiful flowers.  There is something about them that feeds my soul in a way that nothing else can.  Perhaps it is their purity or simplicity.  I like to think it is their ability to smile no matter the weather.  Come rain or shine...they are mine.  I am so blessed.  I have learned that sometimes it is necessary to keep your garden tucked away in your heart.  Hope blooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome~